Wednesday, November 30, 2016

 I enjoyed doing the adolescent interview with my 13 year old son. My focus was cell phone usage with students his age. I was surprised about the amount 8th graders use their phones but I was surprised about the difference of them to my sons usage. Some may think that my son could be holding back on his usage because I'm his mom but I don't believe so. He is a pretty honest, hard working kid. He is a Boy Scout and a high honor roll student. Besides, I have full access to his phone. :-)
 From the interview, I got the impression that most kids my sons age use the phone for games and social media. I think it is rare for them to use it for educational purposes. I also believe that very little actual talking on cell phones happens with this age group. Texting seems to be the trend for them.

Something I was shocked about is the lack of rules parents have for cell phones with teenagers. I restrict websites, social media sites, texting and time on the phone from my son. He just got a phone a couple months ago, not 7 or 8 like some kids I have seen. I understand this wasn't really part of what to get out of the interview but I feel it is important to mention. We have entered a world of few rules, kids sit in front of the TV and computer, play on phones at dinnertime, have no bedtime and lack respect and connection to the ones that mean most to them. It is important for our generation to instill rules and values into the next generation. The 21st century has introduced us to huge social and economic changes that will forever advance our world and our children. As important as this is, it doesn't even come close to what is truly important, guiding our children to grow up to be the best human being they can be.

No comments: